About Community Elementary
A Brief History of Community School
Community Elementary School is a public school which serves grades K-5. Community School originally was built in 1925 to accommodate those children who finished the eighth grade at the ten elementary schools in the area: Rover, Haynes, Longview, Green Hill, Taylor's Cross Roads, Cedar Grove, Unionville, Fall's Creek, Poplin's Cross Roads, and Ray's Chapel. A brick building was constructed in 1939, with additions in 1946, 1954, 1955, 1964, and 1975.
In 1997, grades 7-12 moved into a newly constructed building on the Highway 41A North campus. The pre-70's construction was demolished and a major addition added for primary grades, creating Community Elementary School. Due to overcrowding, portable classrooms were added over time since the 1997 construction.
In the fall of 2009, grades 9-12 moved into the new Community High School located at 1140 Unionville-Deason Road. The Highway 41A campus now houses both Community Elementary School (K-5) and Community Middle School (6-8).
Beginning as a small unit school in 1925, Community is now a complex of three separate schools serving northern Bedford County.